Being a top performer in patient care, university education and scientific research is the main mission of UZ Leuven and KU Leuven.
In Belgium and Europe, we play a leading role which we want to maintain and further expand. To this end, more than 10,000 passionate employees of UZ Leuven and more than 12,000 employees of KU Leuven combine their expertise every day. UZ Leuven became the first Belgian hospital to obtain the international JCI label for safe and quality care and was recently ranked 31st in the ranking of the 200 best hospitals in the world by the American magazine Newsweek. Since 2016, KU Leuven has been leading the Reuters list of Europe’s most innovative universities. KU Leuven Dentistry is ranked 9th in the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities, being the second European dental school, and currently also occupies a 19th place in the QS World University Rankings.
The Medical Department Dentistry aims to provide all patients with the best possible care and has a strong multidisciplinary team of experienced clinicians with extensive expertise. We want to be among the top centers for Oral Health Care by excelling in the fi elds of patient care, university education and scientifi c research. In this context, the Medical Department Dentistry wants to further develop Oral Health Care for people with serious medical conditions, for whom dental care requires an adapted hospital environment in a multidisciplinary setting.
• As a STAFF MEMBER HOSPITAL DENTISTRY you are responsible for the organization, development and supervision of this discipline and its contribution to the Medical Department Dentistry and the Department of Oral Health Sciences.
• The position is based on three pillars: CLINICAL CARE: as a medical staff
member, you know how to work quality-oriented and innovatively, and to
provide excellent patient care in second- and third-line dental care. You have
the appropriate attitude towards working with special care patient groups.
You cooperate closely with other medical departments within UZ Leuven, in
particular with the Department of Oral and Maxillo-facial Surgery. CLINICAL
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH: you have a proven track record in scientific research and want to actively contribute in the relevant domain. You publish in leading journals and supervise PhD students.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING: you teach theoretical and practical courses. You do this for students of the Bachelor/Master basic Dentistry training and for students of the Master-after-Master in Specialized Oral Health Care, more specifi cally Pediatric Dentistry and Special Care. You organize training courses for dentists in the context of Continuing Education.
• In a positive spirit of interdisciplinary collaboration and patient orientation,
you build constructive relationships and communicate effectively in terms of
consultation, information fl ows and teamwork.
• You can rely on your organizational talent and know how to set the right
priorities and keep structure, even under stressful circumstances.
• In terms of people management, you can manage and inspire colleagues
and collaborators, or you are willing to develop these competencies.
• You advance the vision and values of UZ Leuven as an international medical expert center and of KU Leuven as a leading educational and research university institution.
• You represent the Medical Department Dentistry and the subdiscipline
Hospital Dentistry within UZ Leuven and KU Leuven, in professional
organizations, as well as in a number of governmental institutions.
• You strengthen existing partnerships and create new ones with national
and international organizations in the fi eld of hospital dentistry.
• You are co-responsible for the organization of the specialist training
Pediatric Dentistry and Special Care.
• The staff member is offered the opportunity to treat patients privately
during own consultation moments.
• You are recognized as a General Dentist in Belgium or are willing to apply
• You are recognized as an internship trainer for the 1-year internship
training General Dentistry or are willing to obtain it.
• You have received additional training in hospital dentistry and/or pediatric
dentistry and special care.
• You obtained a PhD after publicly defending your doctoral thesis.
• You have a proven clinical and scientifi c track record.
• You have a thorough knowledge of the current treatment protocols in
dentistry and are highly skilled in the advanced diagnostics and treatment
techniques in the aforementioned discipline.
• You are willing to participate in the supervision of the dental emergency
• A good knowledge of English is a requirement and mastery of French is
• You are communicative in your relationship with colleagues, students and
staff, and can work well in a team.
• An additional interest or expertise in oral pathology, oro-facial pain and
temporomandibular dysfunction is an advantage.
• Candidates who do not master the Dutch language yet are expected to
master Dutch suffi ciently after 2 years and to achieve ERK level B2 to be able to provide dental care, other services and education in proper Dutch.
WHAT WE OFFER:
• A challenging position in an exciting and complex hospital environment
with many development opportunities at a professional level.
• A tenured staff position with numerous extralegal benefi ts.
• After a trial period of 12 months and a positive evaluation, you will be able to join the Permanent Dental Staff (VTS) of the Medical Department Dentistry and its subdepartment of Pediatric Dentistry and Special Care.
• Possibility to be appointed as a KU Leuven Clinical Lecturer for the academic teaching assignment.
• In the long term, it is possible to apply for a 20% part-time academic staff (ZAP) position (KU Leuven, Department of Oral Health Sciences) if human resource units to this end are available, while meeting the position requirements.
INTERESTED? Send your application letter with extensive curriculum vitae, mentioning the vacancy 2043, before 31/10/2021 to UZ Leuven,
General Management, attn. the Chief Medical Offi cer Prof. G. Van Assche, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven or by e-mail to email@example.com,
with a copy to UZ Leuven, Medical Dental Department Dentistry, attn. Prof. Guy Willems, Kapucĳnenvoer 7 block a - bus 7001, 3000 Leuven or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.