Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community's greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Description: The licensed practical nurse will provide health services at the Sheltering Arms Limited Secure Placement (LSP) group home, which provides primary pediatric care to adolescents in the juvenile justice system. This involves routine well visits, sick visits and coordinating all aspects of medical care for residents in the program. This is a full-time position, three 12-hour shifts per week, 7am-7pm. Flexibility with scheduling. No overnight hours however there is the option of overtime. The facility has a maximum of 15 beds for adolescent males.
* Review medical records for each patient, assess patients routinely and as needed, document visits in an accurate and timely manner
* Triage patients, obtain and document vital signs
* Perform hearing and vision screens
* Collect labs, perform venipuncture
* Proficiency in ECG application and basic interpretation skill
* Place and read PPDs as indicated
* Administer immunizations as ordered by MD/PNP
* Document and maintain accurate, detailed medical records
* Data entry of health information into the electronic health record and into other electronical systems as required, e.g. Citywide Immunization Registry
* Maintain regular communication and open collaboration with other Health Services staff
* Relay any recommendations to the Medical Director/Site Director/Director of Adolescent Residential Care about the physical or emotional health of Sheltering Arms adolescents
* Participate in staff training programs, team treatment meetings and agency meetings as designated by the Director of Health Services
* Other duties that may be assigned
* Current and valid New York State Practical Nurse license
* Two or more years of experience working with adolescents
* Knowledge of and/or experience with the Integrated Treatment Model, as well as with all relevant procedures and protocols for staff working within LSP facilities
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to coordinate all areas of health care services, to educate, instruct and counsel; and to communicate effectively with medical team, agency staff and biological parents
* The ability to exercise good judgment in emergency situations, to take initiative appropriately and to function independently when required. Insight to know when and where to get help
* Current First Aid, CPR, and Infection Control certification required and maintained throughout employment
* Valid NYS Driver's License Required
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual's perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to climbing up and down stairs, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms.