MercyOne Newton Medical Center is a fully owned hospital of MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and a member of MercyOne Network.
It is located in the city of Newton, Iowa, county seat of Jasper County. Positioned on Interstate 80, the nation's only east/west transcontinental interstate highway, Newton is about 30 miles east of the Des Moines metropolitan area, which has a population in excess of 400,000.
MercyOne Newton has a well-deserved reputation for bucking the trend of diminished health care in rural America by enhancing the quantity and quality of its services during the last two decades. This has been accomplished by expanding, remodeling and providing technological improvements to its physical facilities and by adding new physicians.
MercyOne Newton employees and local doctors are known for their highly productive "Iowa work ethic," emphasis on compassion and quality patient service, and loyalty to the hospital and the community.
Our campus in Newton has 48 beds and about 200,000 square feet of space. Attached to the hospital is a 50,000-square-foot medical office building containing local physician practices and the hospital's physical medicine and rehabilitation center.
MercyOne Newton is one of the largest employers in Jasper County, along with the local school system and the county government.ResponsibilitiesSign-On Bonus eligibility includes:
- New to the MercyOne system
- 2 years of nursing experience
- $ 5,000 Sign-On Bonus for 2 year commitment
- $ 2,500 Sign-On Bonus for 1 year commitment
The registered nurse plans and provides professional nursing care to the patient from admission to discharge. He/She coordinates care with other disciplines, consults with the family or significant others and collaborates with the physician on the patient's behalf. The RN assesses, implements and evaluates nursing care. The RN is responsible for supervision of PCTs and Support Associates. The OB Staff Nurse specializes in the care of antepartal, intrapartal, and postpartal patients, newborns, and their families.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Meets all requirements of Medical/Surgical/Pediatric Staff Nurse
- Assesses antepartal, intrapartal, and postpartal patients for risk factors, normal progress, and symptoms of problems.
- Demonstrates appropriate management of the normal newborn.
- Uses respectful family dynamics and processes in providing individualized patient care.
- Appropriately assesses and follows up on fetal heart rate monitoring.
- Manages obstetrical emergencies in a calm and efficient manner.
- Uses the computer system, documentation and orders, efficiently.
- Assumes responsibility for personal growth and development.
- Demonstrates appropriate attitude and interest in work by maintaining acceptable work habits and behaviors.
- Demonstrates commitment to customer service.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.EXPERIENCE:
One year acute care nursing experience. Prior OB experience preferred.LICENSURE:
Current license as a Registered Nurse from the State of Iowa required.QUALIFICATIONS:
- Understands and is able to apply the nursing process while meeting established Nursing Standards.
- Must be able to read, write and follow written and oral instructions in English.
- The OB Staff Nurse maintains well developed skills for assessing the physical and psychosocial needs of expectant parents, families and newborns.
- Maintains BCLS certification at health care provider level.
- Completion of ACLS and NRP required within six months of employment.
- Basic fetal monitoring course within six months of employment.