Job DescriptionMAJOR FUNCTION
Under the general supervision of the Centers Director of Behavioral Health, and collaborating physician incumbent provides outpatient psychiatric evaluation, medication management and psychotherapy for patients and their families as defined within the New Jersey Board of Nursing guidelines for Nurse Practitioners.MAJOR FUNCTION:
Under the general supervision of the Centers Chief Medical Officer, and collaborating physician incumbent provides outpatient psychiatric evaluation, medication management and psychotherapy for patients and their families as defined within the New Jersey Board of Nursing guidelines for Nurse Practitioners.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Serves as a resource in evaluation and management of psychiatric disorders for primary care staff
- Performs comprehensive or episodic medical and or mental health assessment of patients with acute and/or chronic mental health problems.
- Orders and evaluates diagnostic /Labs; develops patient treatment plan and goals; prescribes treatment and medications keeping within protocols established by the Health Center and within the guidelines established by the New Jersey Board of Nursing.
- Performs Crisis intervention
- Advises patient of need for lifestyle changes, tests, and medications, maintains an awareness of interactions of medications and advises patient of the results of non-compliance with treatment plan.
- When appropriate, determines the need for physician, sub-specialty, and/or emergency room consultation/evaluation.
- Maintains complete and adequate medical charts, follow HJAHC procedures for documentation to ensure appropriate billing.
- Provides professional direction and acts as a resource to other staff; participates in staff education and in-service programs as well as community health education.
- May be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office or related units.
- Greets all patients/clients/customers via telephone or directly in a personal and professional manner; promotes positive patient and community relations; acts as member of the health team.
Participates in other assigned duties as designated by the Director of Behavioral Health.RequirementsEDUCATION
Graduation from an accredited college with a Masters of Science degree; is certified as a Nurse Practitioner by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners or American Nurses Credentialing Center; is licensed by the State of New Jersey as a Nurse PractitionerPREREQUISITES FOR THE JOB
- Must hold current and valid NJ Nurse Practitioner licensure, CDS and DEA licensure
- Must hold current and valid certification from an accredited certifying body as noted above
- Board Certification as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner with State of New Jersey Nurse Practitioner License
PHYSICAL & WORK REQUIREMENTS
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred; capable of working with computers and software applications suitable for health care environment; excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good health and freedom from disabling physical and mental disabilities which would impair the proper performance of the required duties or which might endanger the health and safety of oneself or others
- High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the manual dexterity sufficient to operate phones, computers and other office equipment. The position requires the physical ability to kneel, bend, and perform light lifting. This person must have the ability to write and speak clearly using the English language to convey information and be able to hear at normal speaking levels both in person and over the telephone. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Generally, the working conditions are good with little or no exposure to extremes in health, safety hazards and/or hazardous materials.Benefits
Medical (with company-funded HRA), Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), vacation leave, sick leave, personal days, 401k retirement plan