NEW HIRE SIGN ON BONUS ELIGIBLE - $15K!POSITION SUMMARY:
This is a nurse residency position that upon hire or transfer into the program the nurse commits to a full time learning opportunity. This program prepares the nurse for an operating room staff nurse position as well as forms the foundation required to successfully take pass the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) certification program. The program commences with a six month AORN, Periop 101 on line didactic program consisting of 27 modules, followed by a 3-5 month clinical orientation. The nurse will be assigned to a nurse educator and preceptor and earn 41.7 CEUs for completion of the online program. Upon completion the nurse will be offered a full time position at either Manchester Memorial Hospital or Rockville General Hospital. A commitment to the Operating Room will be required for two years.
The candidate must be willing to undergo a rigorous application process that consists of surgeon, manager, nursing education and staff interviews, observation day and letters of recommendation. The candidate must be willing to take and pass the Certified Registered Operating Nurse (CNOR) certification exam within six months from residency completion.
Utilizing the nursing process, provides high quality direct and indirect patient -centered care. Coordinates patient care by working collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team, patients and families. Communicates, as appropriate, the patient's clinical condition, responding quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served. Promotes the profession of nursing and professional practice through collegial support and interactions. Reports to the Clinical Nurse Manager. EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION:
- Nursing experience preferred.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited school of Nursing and have and maintain current a Registered Nurse license in the State of Connecticut.
- Must have certification in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) upon hire.
- Must successfully complete each learning module and pass all Periop 101 course work with six months of hire.
- Must pass the Certified Registered Operating Nurse (CNOR) certification exam within six months from residency completion.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing and possess basic computer skills.
Disclaimer: Job descriptions are not intended, nor should they be construed to be, exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. They are intended to be accurate reflections of the principal duties and responsibilities of this position. These responsibilities and competencies listed below may change from time to time.
1. Must successfully complete each learning module and pass all Periop 101 course work with six months.
2. Must take and pass the Registered Operating Nurse (CNOR) certification exam within six months from residency completion.
3. Performs population-specific comprehensive assessments and re-assessments of the patient's condition and care needs including the psychosocial, physical, educational and cultural aspects.
4. Utilizing assessment data, collaborates with surgical team to define, implement and evaluate an individualized plan of care for each surgical patient.
5. Follows the five (5) seven (7) medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors. Demonstrates knowledge of medications and their correct administration based on age of the patient and their clinical condition. Follows Perioperative Services policy for medication safety.
6. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and promotes positive patient outcomes; follows ECHN policy for Patient Identification, Surgical & Invasive Procedures Site Identification, and Universal Protocol.
7. Documents the nursing process and responses to care in a timely manner utilizing the appropriate tools.
8. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations. Utilizes critical thinking skills and sound judgment in priority setting and delegation.
9. Demonstrates autonomous practice, consistent with evidence-based standards. Pursues personal and professional growth and development. Serves as a professional role model and mentor.
10. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the lifespan and the skills necessary to provide age-appropriate care to patients served. Able to interpret data about the patient status in order to identify each patient's age-specific needs and provide care needed by the patient group.
9. Provides an accurate and pertinent report of the patient's condition for safe transfer of care.
- Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies, and equipment for each surgical procedure.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and assures maintenance of aseptic technique throughout the surgical procedure; identifies and communicates, to surgical team, any breaks in technique and assists with corrective actions.
- Effectively communicates with the surgeon in accounting for all sponges, needles, and instruments; reports discrepancies immediately to surgeon and Team Leader; appropriately documents all counts.
- Accurately records, handles, labels and processes specimens.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively function in the scrub role. (we have hired RNs that do not come with this experience) Demonstrates willingness to effectively function in the scrub role.