NEW HIRE SIGN ON BONUS ELIGIBLE - $15,000 POSITION SUMMARY:
Utilizing the nursing process, provides high quality direct and indirect patient centered care for the Behavioral Health Units: Geriatric Psych, Adult Behavioral Health, Adolescent Behavioral Health and Eating Disorders. Coordinates patient care by working collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team. Communicates, as appropriate, the patient's clinical condition, responding quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment. Responsible for creating and maintaining a safe, structured and therapeutic milieu, with age-specific behavioral management practices. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served. Promotes the profession of nursing and professional practice through collegial support and interactions. Reports to the Clinical Coordinator. Creates a caring and compassionate environment through Core Values of Teamwork, Respect, and Communication.EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION/EXPERIENCE:
- Must be a graduate of an accredited school of Nursing and have a current Registered Nurse license with the state of Connecticut.
- Must have certification in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) upon hire and maintain clinical competency during employment with ECHN in this role.
- Must be trained in PMT and de-escalation techniques, as prescribed by ECHN, and receive certification within 6 months of hire into the role.
- Experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be able to communicate effectively using the English language in both verbal and writing situations.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Must be capable of taking swift and efficient action, including patient restraint when responding to patient emergency codes.
- Must be able to work at both Manchester Memorial Hospital and Rockville General Hospital with the ability to cross-campuses mid-shift if required based on staffing needs.
- Employee must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and have access to reliable transportation to travel between multiple work sites in order to perform essential duties. Proof of valid driver license, current auto insurance identification card covering State minimums, current vehicle registration and a driving record free of any major violations is required.
Disclaimer: Job descriptions are not intended, nor should they be construed to be, exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. They are intended to be accurate reflections of the principal duties and responsibilities of this position. These responsibilities and competencies listed below may change from time to time.
- Performs comprehensive assessments and re-assessments of the patient's condition and care needs including the psychosocial, physical, educational and cultural aspects as evidenced by supervisor observation and chart audits.
- Assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management tools and techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management. Documentation reflects assessments, interventions and evaluation of effectiveness as evidenced by supervisor review/observation.
- Develops and revises individualized treatment plans as indicated by assessment and patient response to treatment. Evaluates overall plan daily for effectiveness. Involves the patient and family in the formulation of goals. Documentation reflects assessments, interventions and evaluation of effectiveness. Evidenced by supervisor review / observation.
- Follows the five (5) medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors. Demonstrates knowledge of medications including psychotropic drugs and their correct administration based on age of the patient and their clinical condition as evidenced by chart audits and supervisor observation.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and promotes positive patient outcomes as evidenced by supervisor observation.
- Documents the nursing process and responses to care in a timely manner utilizing the appropriate tools as evidenced by chart audits and supervisor observation.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations. Utilizes critical thinking skills and sound judgment in priority setting and delegation as evidenced by supervisor observation.
- Formulates a teaching plan based upon identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning, family is included in teaching as appropriate as evidenced by chart audits and supervisor observation.
- Practices autonomously, consistent with evidence-based standards. Pursues personal and professional growth and development. Serves as a professional role model and mentor as evidenced by supervisor observation.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain a safe and therapeutic environment as evidenced by observation of appropriate interventions as well as patient, peer and supervisor feedback.
- Demonstrates clinical expertise, perceptiveness, empathy and interpersonal warmth as evidenced by supervisor and peer observation and feedback on Satisfaction Surveys. Displays and promotes sensitivity to the privacy needs of psychiatric patients.
- Effectively uses psychological and physical management techniques to manage violent or potentially violent situations consistent with PMT training as evidenced by peer and supervisor observation.
- Participates in Early Response codes and Dr. Strong codes, attendance at PMT refresher trainings.
- Demonstrates the abilities to effectively set limits with patients and maintain appropriate professional and personal boundaries as evidenced by peer and supervisor observation.
- Collaborates and communicates with all members of the treatment team to effectively meet the treatment needs of the patient as evidenced by feedback from treatment team members and supervisor observation.
- Provides psychotherapeutic treatment to patients as evidenced by documentation reflecting individual psychotherapeutic interventions and documentation of nurse-led educational and psychotherapeutic groups.