At Memorial Hermann, we're about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.Job Summary
Position serves as an expert oncology clinician and patient/client advocate and assists oncology patients/families to "navigate" the complex health care system. Position integrates education, research, management, leadership and consultation into their roles to achieve quality outcomes. Position reports to cancer service line leadership.Job DescriptionMust have 3 or more years of RN experience in Oncology.Highly prefer RN experience in Case Management or Nurse Navigator experience. Must have OCN certification or obtain within a year of employment.Highly prefer ONN-CG certification.Work Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8a-5p. Will need to be flexible for some early morning or late evening meetings.Minimum QualificationsEducation:
Bachelors in Nursing (BSN) or
be actively enrolled in a degree program in pursuit of a BSN requiredLicenses/Certifications
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Registered Nurse, licensed in the state of Texas
- Professional Certification as OCN or AOCN or certification within clinical specialty or obtained within one (1) year of employment
- CPR Certified
- Must have at least three (3) years of oncology nursing experience or experience in a related subspecialty EX. Breast Health
- Must have good communication skills and have the ability to teach, analyze and problem solve with relative ease
- Must have good decision making skills
- Performs duties in a manner to promote quality patient care and customer service/satisfaction, while promoting safety, cost efficiency, and a commitment to the CQI process
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health" through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Practices in a collegial relationship with physicians, nursing peers and other professionals to enhance patient care and the health environment.
- Maintains knowledge of professional and industry trends.
- Works with Nursing Leadership to create a work environment that facilitates and encourages nursing staff to demonstrate accountability for their own practice, an environment that empowers registered nurses at all levels of the organization to utilize critical thinking skills and to participate in decision making that affects their nursing practice.
- Participates in organizational and community initiatives to improve the professional practice of nursing and quality of patient outcomes/care.
- Practices in accordance with hospital policies and procedures, Texas Nurse Practice Act, ONS Professional Standards, Code of Ethics for Nursing and the institution's nursing philosophy, professional practice model, and patient care delivery model and nursing strategic plan.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development as it relates to the different life cycles.
- Attends national/regional/local conferences pertinent to oncology and ONN role.
- Attends Oncology Service Line meetings, Tumor Boards and other meetings deemed pertinent to oncology at respective institutes.
- Reports monthly statistics.
- Performs case finding to ensure maximum number of cancer patients are contacted during high stress points such as with initial cancer diagnosis, treatment initiation, and relapse.
- Initiates patient contact via face to face meeting, telephone, e-mail or mail.
- Educates patients/significant other (SO) on disease specifics and treatment options to enable patient-led treatment decisions. Provides disease specific material to patients. Facilitates patient/SO introduction to clinical trials.
- Offers psychosocial/emotional support to patients/SO.
- Coordinates appointments/services for patients. Streamlines care path transitions and logistical issues.
- Triages patients' clinical issues.
- Facilitates access to support networks and psychosocial assistance. EX. ACS, CANCARE.
- Performs patient follow up post procedure/treatment.
- Documents patient contacts where appropriate.
- Conducts initial screening for hereditary cancer risk and determines need for genetic susceptibility testing (GST) and counseling as necessary. Consults with/refers to appropriate practitioners as required.
- Advocates for cancer survivors, co-survivors, and implements cancer survivorship activities.
- Builds relationships with referring physicians and potential referring physicians through education of physicians, office staff, attendance at departmental meetings, and through marketing calls.
- Coordinates services for physicians' patients as requested by physicians.
- Serves as liaison between clinical specialists and family physicians.
- Documents physician contact where appropriate.
- Builds relationships with hospital nursing staff through the provision of education and attendance at staff meetings as requested.
- Responds to in-hospital consultations requested by nurses and documents accordingly in the medical record.
- Community Specific:
- Builds public awareness through presentation of lectures at meetings, participation in health fairs, and assistance with WEB site development.
- Assists with cancer screenings.
- Facilitates cancer related supportive activities.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned